- 67 percent of Republicans (and 40 percent of Americans overall) believe that Obama is a socialist.
- 57 percent of Republicans (32 percent overall) believe that Obama is a Muslim
- 45 percent of Republicans (25 percent overall) agree with the Birthers in their belief that Obama was "not born in the United States and so is not eligible to be president"
- 38 percent of Republicans (20 percent overall) say that Obama is "doing many of the things that Hitler did"
- Scariest of all, 24 percent of Republicans (14 percent overall) say that Obama "may be the Antichrist."
The poll, which surveyed 2,230 people at the height of the health-care reform debate, clearly shows that education is a barrier to extremism. Respondents without a college education are vastly more likely to believe such claims, while Americans with college degrees or better are less easily duped. It's a reminder of what the 19th-century educator Horace Mann once too-loftily said: "Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up the vacancies of the soul that are unoccupied by the verities of knowledge."...
Obama, I think you may need to focus on education reform. The 'shift happens' video goes some of the way to investigating the skills we need to teach our kids to prepare for the world of the future, but don't we also need to teach our kids basic discernment i.e. how to judge based on measurable benchmarks rather than fearful folktales? Isn't that a pre-requisite to a successful democracy?
I, for once, am speechless.